Today was one of those days where I was pretty much angry at my hubby all day long. It really didn't matter what he did...or didn't do...I was just angry with him. I can't stand it when he yells at the kiddies...I feel like it's his knee jerk reaction to everything they do. and when I start yelling, I hate myself for doing it but it's usually when I'm at my wits end with them.
How many times do you do time-outs and quiet thinking time in your room??? And how many times can you take things away from them to make them realize that they need to start behaving and respecting people?? And, how or what do I need to do to make it better??
So, today I decided that my children will not be starting any of the activities I signed them up for. Aside from the fact that I don't get paid until thursday and I have a very minimal amount of gas in my truck, it's a good learning thing for them...right?? I told them that they could not start this week b/c they need to show me that they know how to behave and listen. Now, I know that they are not going to be perfect...nobody is (oh wait...my hubby thinks he is perfect and everything he does is perfect...lol) especially children. But, I do expect them to LISTEN!!! So...how am I going to do this so that I can avoid the embarrassment that I experience when we go places?? Well, I'm not quite sure yet. But, I do have some ideas that I know I have to stick with...and I have to get hubby on board so that we are a TEAM!! And so, here are some of my thoughts:
- STOP YELLING...seriously, I am going to try with all my might to stop yelling at them
- Ask once and if they fail to follow directions, than I will fail to give them what they ask for next or I will pick up those shoes I continuously trip over and give them away (does this work with hubby's too??)
- Stick to my guns with punishments...even if I feel like I was too harsh after 5 minutes of telling them their punishment
- Be realistic with my expectations of them and expect delays and lots of backsteps
- Sit down with them and let them know my expectations of them and get back on track with that darn chore chart
- Put together a rough schedule of our days...to include meals, reading time, down time, up time, outside, movie??, school practice work, etc
OK- I think that's about all I can handle for 1 day...Let's hope I can do this and we can all start working together!! Wish me luck...any suggestions are greatly appreciated:)
PS- put Franny Girl in the crib around 9ish tonight (she woke just after my last post)...she did open her eyes and look around and than closed them and went to sleep...still there and I was able to make some brownies without worrying about waking her!!!