Holiday pic

Holiday pic

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Why Bother...

You know...it's been a really long day today and the next 3 days are gonna be even longer!!  And so, I ask, why bother...a question I always seem to ask when I try and do stuff for myself.  And not just fun stuff, you know, but workish kind of stuff.  I mean, I do what I can on the side to try and make some extra money so that we aren't taking from savings all the time...but I still have to wonder if it's worth it sometimes.  Four kids and summer time is just a lot of work...and today was not a fun day.  I know, being a mom isn't all about fun...but come on, when can I really truly enjoy them???  It's so hard to even enjoy the little ones these days when the 2 big ones are home. 

My skills as referee and moderator are definitely put to the test these days and I'm really getting tired of Mom...MA...he said, she said, he threw this and she touched that and I can do it better and give me back MY toy and you can't do this b/c I'm older and you're not and blah blah blah blah!!!  My hours increase, the work gets tougher and the pay gets worse in the summer time:(  lol

I always feel like there is nothing but yelling going on in this house.  I can get through about 2/3 of the day before I get really frustrated...these kids (all of them) have hearing issues I think.  How many times do you have to call their names and how many times do you have to tell them to do something before it gets done??  DJ stops listening after you say 2 words so he only completes about 1/2 of what you want him to do.  Kyra just gives me an attitude and a smirk.  Max is starting to not listen and he often puts himself in time-outs...which leads me to think it's just not working.  Franny Girl...please stay cute and innocent:)  ha ha ha ha

I think the Super Nanny would have a field day with some of the things we've done and do...seriously, she makes all her little methods seem like they work so awesomely that all the 'real' parents in the world want to puke when they try her stuff only to fail...We tried the whole put the kid back into bed thing with Kyra and the time it took us to get her to sleep never decreased...even following her 'no talking' crap...you know what worked??  We put a door on her room (there was no door at the time) and locked it!!  That method took 1 night...eat your heart out Super Nanny!!!  Oh, and these stupid time-outs...really??  I'm starting to think my husband might be right and we should just beat them when they don't listen, throw cars at each other, hit/bite/kick, lie, play with food at the table, blow bubbles in our milk, talk back to us, etc ... I think those problems would become null and void, don't you??  I mom used to hit me with a wooden spoon...now a days they'd lock the parent up for abuse!!  On second thought...hmmmmmm....would they really lock me up??  Could I really get a night's sleep??  Hold on, let me go get a kid and ... no, I'm kidding.  Now, I'm not opposed to that occasional smack on the back of the head or on the leg every once in awhile...I mean, it's the shock factor that gets 'em, you know!! But, I don't agree with it on a daily basis.  I also don't agree with the whole yelling thing on a daily basis and I really need to figure out how to STOP!!!  How does one become a 'child whisperer' these days??  How do we start to control our children and teach them manners and make them aware that there are people out there who are not as well off as they are??  When I tell the big ones that our vacation this year is about Max and Franny, I'm kind of serious.  They have been given everything they've ever wanted...ok, not every single thing...but they don't really want or need anything.  And, I don't think I'd have a huge problem with that except that now they've come to expect this stuff to be handed to them on a silver platter.  Max...well, he's still awesome and just appreciated everything he gets.  His simple little house party/playdate for his b-day was so exciting for him.  I don't know if DJ/Kyra would have been happy with just that...you know??

OK- I really didn't start this post to be a rambling about my kids...was gonna talk about why I bother to try and do a baking business when I have 4 kids and a hubby to take care of...but, you get what you get and you don't get upset, right???  ha ha ha  Back to the basics with that one...kindergarten 101!!

So- tough couple nights ahead of me...baking stuff you know:)

Random thought-  I love my children I love my children I love my children I love my children I love my children (do you think if I keep repeating this I will stop yelling...perhaps I should just breathe and drink more wine...ha ha)

5 comments:

  1. As Bill Cosby says:"Let the beatings begin". It sounds like you need help with everything. Take everything away from them.. Let them see what it"s like to have no toys,no play dates, NO VACATION....I know they know how to behave.. Try ignoring them when they argue or tattle. Maybe they will stop. As for Max he thinks it's fun cause DJ shows him the bad stuff. Your hubby needs to help you a little more when he gets home. His job doesn't stop until the last child is in bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have learned over being a mom for 23 years....pick your battles....I ask myself...is what they are doing going to hurt them? someone else? if it makes a mess, can I clean it, probably...get them to help out,maybe....being a mom is the toughest job in the world...does not matter if you stay at home or work out of the home or a little of both, it's just plain hard! As far as the hubby goes, I learned a long time ago (also) to accept them for who they are, they probably will not change (for any length of time anyway) I am a happier person if i just accept that I do most of the house work without much help, cook the meals, make the schedules etc...I do it loud and do it proud...For what its worth..spanking is A OK in my book! Either way, rock those cupcakes for tomorrow...and remember sleep is optional (sometimes..LOL) Don't lose sight of your goals (you do have goals right>)lol XOX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ladies...I know I need to figure out how to just accept some of this stuff (housework, meals, scheduling, etc)...working on it. I have actually stopped listening to the kids...lol...you know, ignore them 'til they stop calling your name?? (very hard with Max though) Glad to know we all have supposrt out there and go through some of the same things!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rough days! It's a good thing that kids can be so cute - because they can push you right over the edge! Ask them "are you broken or bleeding? no? then I don't want to hear it" ;) or make them write it down so you can read about it! lol! I just started taking a prized possession away when Sam misbehaves or misplaces his listen ears. Give him 2 warnings and then the 3rd strike I start counting. If I get to 10 before he changes his ways then it's mine until he earns it back. I only had to take 1 thing before he realized I was serious. And he was SO upset. I almost thought it wasn't worth it but I stayed strong and it seems to be working. Or I just say "underpants" and he laughs uncontrollably until he forgets that he was misbehaving. Never saw that one on Super Nanny either, right? ;) Maybe Max puts himself in time out because he needs a break? Sammy does that sometimes. Bubbles in the milk are a problem for us too though! And mom is ALWAYS the one that does scheduling, cleaning, meals... no matter how hard you try to change it. Hang in there! The big yellow savior will be here soon and you can enjoy that baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should add that some days I feel like I've been counting all day. like today. and it's only 9am!! ;)

    ReplyDelete