Holiday pic

Holiday pic

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

High Expectations???

So, today was an ok day in this household.  Aside from the fact that DJ is overly dramatic (thanks hubby for passing on that trait), Kyra mentioned nothing about yesterday, Max screamed a lot and Franny didn't get much sleep...things were pretty normal.

OK- that is, until we get to Polish Dancing this evening.  I was, yet again, the mom who had no control over her children again.  DJ (who was up all night so he was gonna be cranky today...his words, not mine) has been complaining that his belly hurts him...and when it benefits him, it REALLY HURT and he couldn't possibly do anything.  For instance, DJ go on up and dance...No, my belly hurts..ok, go sit on the bench with your book.  Not 30 seconds later, he's running around like a lunatic high on crack enticing his little brother in and out of the downpour that began as we got there.  Ummmmm, how's that belly???  Of course, I don't have the stroller under the pavillion b/c of the downpour and am holding Franny Girl...trying unsuccessfully to get Max to stop running through the puddles, in the rain, through the dancers, yadda yadda yadda.  He saw me coming and would bolt in the opposite direction.  Now, had I actually ran after him, you all know I would have gone down for the count b/c I was wearing cheap flipflops and they are very slippery when wet and on concrete.  Now, there were people who were telling me to let him run and have their fun...but, my boys have a tendency to take that fun to the next level and I fear for their safety and the safety of others!!!  DJ gets a bit out of control and Max starts thinking it's ok.  He was throwing cars, rocks, grass, anything, etc.  And, he was soaking wet on top of it.  I think I was thoroughly and utterly embarrassed (sp??) by my children this evening.  I finally did manage to get a hold of the situation and make them settle down.  Yup, had to take the flip flops off, drop Franny Girl on someone elses lap, hold the swaying boobs in place and run after Max!! 

And on that note, I am thinking that my children will now need to earn any extra activities for the rest of the summer...including those fun activities while in Myrtle Beach that they love soooooo much.  Now, the question is this...as posed by my husband...are my expectations too high for them???  Am I setting them up for failure on a daily basis??  How are children supposed to behave??  Shouldn't they have some kind of respect for the rules??  How do I make them earn these things and what's really reasonable for 7 and 8 year olds???  HELP!!!  Am I destined to make them feel like they aren't good enough for me??  I think they are great kids most of the time and they are smart, funny, talented kids.  But, how do I make them feel, that is the million dollar question of the day!!

Anyway...some pics from tonight...ha ha ha



1 comment:

  1. WOW. I just too a deep breath and a sigh of relief that I am not the only person on the planet who's son is the way you described. And that I am not the only Mom in the world who asks if I expect too much and I if I should just leave him be. I too know if I just let him be a "boy" there is no line he will not cross though and I worry as you do, for his safety and for the safety of others. I just cannot thank you enough for writing this. I feel a sense of relief that he may just be a typical boy...just a different kind of typical.
    Christine

    ReplyDelete