From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Spamming remains economically viable because advertisers have no operating costs beyond the management of their mailing lists, and it is difficult to hold senders accountable for their mass mailings. Because the barrier to entry is so low, spammers are numerous, and the volume of unsolicited mail has become very high. In the year 2011, the estimated figure for spam messages is around seven trillion. The costs, such as lost productivity and fraud, are borne by the public and by Internet service providers, which have been forced to add extra capacity to cope with the deluge. Spamming has been the subject of legislation in many jurisdictions.Spam is the use of electronic messaging systems (including most broadcast media, digital delivery systems) to send unsolicited bulk messages indiscriminately. While the most widely recognized form of spam is e-mail spam, the term is applied to similar abuses in other media: instant messaging spam, Usenet newsgroup spam, Web search engine spam, spam in blogs, wiki spam, online classified ads spam,mobile phone messaging spam, Internet forum spam, junk fax transmissions, social networking spam, television advertising and file sharing network spam.
A person who creates electronic spam is called a spammer.
And so, here is a list of my top 10 Spam E-mails I could live without (they are not the direct words used...and my comments follow):
1. Let's Make it Bigger (yeah, what am I making bigger, my bank account) Viagra Spam would have to go with this one too...
2. Work from Home (oh, this one just keeps coming...really, I do work from home I just don't get paid...) Come Change Your Career would also go along here... what do you want to do b/c there's a Spammer looking to send you an e-mail on what you should become!!
3. Christian Singles Living (oh, yeah, I'm not single...are they trying to make me single and hook up with other 'christians'?? wouldn't that be against the church??)
4. Lose 10 pounds in 1 week (ummmm, are you spammers saying I'm fat??? I have 4 kids, ok... do your homework before you randomly send it to me...what if I had an eating disorder?? Nice going)
5. Go back to school and start a New Career (ha ha ha...this one is funny... would like to know when it would be possible to actually take any kind of class...let alone pay for it...) Oh wait, perhaps I should check out the ones about Financial Aid for College...
6. Cute Kids Wanted (ok...I might be tempted to open this up b/c my kids really are cute...but, I know it's just spam and so I just delete you and know that my kids are still cute)
7. Mystery Shoppers Wanted (ok...what's in it for me here?? they are seriously going to pay me to shop somewhere and report back...and how much do they really pay you for this crap??)
8. Seniors meeting Seniors (ummmmm, didn't get the memo that I'm married did you?? Oh, and I'm not a senior... at least I don't think I'm a senior, am I??)
9. Get High Now (ha... just kidding... making sure you're paying attention.. though I think people might actually open this one... LOL)
10. Asians meeting Asians (ummmm, last time I checked I wasn't Asian...or any other ethnicity that they think I should be meeting... oh, and did I mention that I'M MARRIED ALREADY)
I know there are a ton more out there...but it's late and I'm tired and these are the ones I thought of tonight.
What's your favorite Spam e-mail??
Oh, and what do you do with your spam in a can?? LOL Here's the web-site on Spam so you can get about spam...ha ha ha