Holiday pic

Holiday pic

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Operation Franny is under Way

OK, so you may or may not know, Franny sucks at sleeping in her own crib all through the night.  She also sucks at any kind of normal sleep schedule for a 20 mos. old.  That being said, we are all tired and cranky over here b/c no one can seem to get a good night's sleep EVER!!

Look at all the places she will sleep though:
 

 

And so, we started the Mission: Operation Franny.   And at this point we are in major Operation Failure Mode!!

My job was to keep her awake all day yesterday.  Of course, I had to pay a sitter to stay home with her while we were all in the car doing what we do best, drive to various activities.  But, Mission accomplished:)

Hubby's job, while I was out, was to put her to bed and if need be, let her cry it out.  ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha... this is maniacal laughing at it's best here people... Got home at 10pm last night and guess who was still awake and NOT in her crib??  Yup, the lovable little Franny Girl.  Mission FAIL

So, she fell asleep on the couch and was hustled upstairs to her crib for some sleep.  Probably fell asleep around 10:30pm...and woke up at 2:28AM (she usually makes it to 2 or 3 in the morning and than we bring her into bed with us so we can all go back to sleep).  This time, however, we did not go get her.  Instead, we proceeded with the 'Cry it Out' method.  The rest of our kids were in the other bedroom (Kyra on the floor) so as not to bother them.  ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha (here's that pesky maniacal laughter again... hey, I'm tired)

She cried on and off (mostly on...with maybe a few couple minute breaks) until 8:00am this morning when I had to get up.  I'm not sure this whole cry it out thing is gonna work for Franny...what do you think??  I know it's only been 1 night, but shouldn't they pass out sooner than 6 hours of crying??  And I know, some of you are thinking, why let her go that long...but I guess we are trying here people.  Franny has always been the one that will cry and cry and cry (she is relentless) when she's in that crib.  I've tried several times for naptime and gotten the same results.

She fell asleep on the couch this morning and slept for 4 hours (probably would've slept longer, but I needed to wake her up).  So, now, did I just ruin what little sanity we all had and is she now going into a different direction of sleep???  Who the hell knows!!

Where is that pesky Super Nanny when you need her??  And why does it always look so easy when they do it on TV??  Have they never had a Franny before??

I just don't know what to do with her...  I know, persistence is the key here... and I could be throwing in the towel to easily...but, really, it's never been this hard before.  I'm seriously considering moving our couch into her bedroom so she'll sleep... think that will work??  Yeah, probably not.

So, to my dear beloved readers- I would love to hear your Sleep War Stories and how you fixed them.

Hoping you all slept better than me!!

And just so you know, I am on my way up to put her in her crib with the hopes that she will cry herself out before midnight:)

3 comments:

  1. I'd stick it out! The best thing you can do is to help her get healthy sleep, even though it's so hard! Does she sleep with white noise? It might help and get yourself some while you're at it because it could take a bit until she learns to self soothe. We found that a consistent bedtime routine makes a huge difference. Zack slept in his bed fine after 8 months old, but he started the crying when he was about 18 months. We moved him into Sam's room and they share a room now. I think it took a few days - maybe a week - of crying when we first put him in but, luckily, if Sam's in bed then he doesn't have a problem being in bed too. Sometimes they do need to be told to go to sleep. Now if I could only get Sam to stay in his bed all night!! He's a sleepwalker...

    Did you read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child? I thought it was useful. Now that I think about it, we had to let Sam cry it out a few times in the middle of the night around that age and he climbed out of his crib. We heard a thud, silence, (panic on our part) and then little footsteps across the floor. So make sure there's nothing in there for her to use as a step!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say move her bedroom to the basement and let her cry it out! :) Good luck Cuz...She is really cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... I only had Kevin who never slept... The doctor gave me some medication to help him go to sleep...and eventually he did go to sleep on his own..but 6 hrs. of non stop crying can be very frustrating.. try maybe calming her by rocking her in the bedroom before putting her in the crib..Good Luck

    ReplyDelete