I love drama, a good reality show and throw in some dance and I'm hooked. I really do love to watch these girls dance...I think they are ALL phenomenal dancers. The moms, on the other hand, give us ALL a bad name. Before this show, we all knew who these Moms were... let me explain them in a few key points:
1. Will do anything to advance their child with disregard to any other child
2. Will gripe about anything and everything... especially if it does not benefit their child
3. Will gossip about everyone around them...including children (ie- did you hear so and so got 'demoted' to a lower class... or that girl just got yelled at my Mrs. X... or look at that one over there, my child is so much better than that one, why are they in that class and not my precious little SugarPlum, etc...you get the point??)
4. Snoops around to see what EVERY SINGLE child is up to at their dance studio
5. Listens in on EVERY conversation going on around them to see if they can get more info...
6. Starts a gossip train
7. Hovers around the dance office in the chance they might overhear some snippet of conversation that they could use against you
8. Constantly asking for your child to take an older/more advanced class even after the teacher tells you on more than 1 occasion NO
OK...so you all know who these people are and, hey, maybe you are one?? But, I'd also like to point out that these Moms are not just in the dance world. You know, the term Soccer Mom, right?? They started using that term around the year 1987... and while these Moms have probably been around for eons (think Mrs. Olsen on Little House), the Demographic Term finally came through... There is an actual definition of Soccer Mom-
: a typically suburban mother who accompanies her children to their soccer games and is considered as part of a significant voting bloc or demographic group
[count] US, informal : a mother usually from the middle class who brings her children to soccer games and similar activities — often used to refer in a general way to such women as a group of people having similar interests, values, etc.
Now, I'm sure it won't take long for a definition of Dance Mom to pop up...but there isn't one yet..lol..
But, I did find a website that might be beneficial to all the 'Soccer Moms' who drive their kids to dance.. lol..
Because of this show, I really don't want to be considered a 'Dance Mom'... so keep me a Soccer Mom even though this year will definitely be a year of more dance classes over Soccer..
Because of this show, now we have a 'nice' term to call these Moms who we want to strangle (is that too harsh) and sometimes maybe just trip them as they walk by??
Dance Moms...who knew such a nice thing could become a slang for the terror moms lying in wait at dance studios across the country??
I love that my children love to dance. And I love when they excel at their own rates and are proud of themselves!! And, I love that they WANT to do it (yes, even DJ loves it and would be disappointed if I took him out)
I still owe you my take on the recital process...but I might start crying as I'm a little weepy these days so I'll try again next week (I'm also trying to procure some old pics to include in it but can't find them..lol...)
|DJ and Kyra in their first year of dance... AWWWWWWW!!!|
Hope you are all having a lovely evening and enjoy your weekend!!