Holiday pic

Holiday pic

Thursday, December 13, 2012

'Tis the Season...


Wow... less then 2 weeks and it's Christmas.  How in the world did that happen so fast??  

I gotta say, I'm not one of those 'Go all out' Christmas People.  I kinda fly by the seat of my pants and get things done at the last minute.  This year seems to be even more crazy busy then in the past.  And crazy stressful too.  I mean, who isn't stressed during this time of year??  You've got holiday parties, holiday concerts, dance (for us, it's Nutcracker time), shopping, yadda yadda yadda.  

My most stressful thing is shopping...and how am I going to get it all done as well as get everything I need for everyone on my list at a reasonable price... and than figure out how to get my own kids something.  Hubby usually gets the shaft in terms of presents b/c I just don't have it to give... I know, I know- planning is key, right??  But when I am on a week to week budget based on what my take-home pay is, these holiday extras can be a royal pain in the ass.  I know, it's also about what you give and not what you get.  I get that.  It just gets frustrating and challenging to try and explain to your kids why so and so at school got the IT gift of the year from Santa but they didn't.  Why would Santa not give the same to all the kids??  

Sidebar- which also brings me to the Freakin’ Toothfairy.  Shouldn’t there be some kind of guidelines for doling out cash for teeth??  We give out $5 for the first tooth and $1 for each additional tooth.  My kids come home telling me that someone in their class got $20 for a tooth (and it wasn’t the first one).  Limits, people, Limits!!  DJ doesn’t even bother leaving his teeth anymore b/c I also make them write a note to the Toothfairy and he doesn’t think a buck is enough to write a letter…

Now, back to Christmas Season… so, I’m stressed, tired and a little bit crazy.  Oh, ok, a lot crazy but you already knew that.  I just feel like there is NO time to get anything accomplished these days:(

Oh, and don't forget those Holiday Cards..you know, the ones you've been getting since December 1st??  How in the world do people get those cards made and in the mail so early??  Mine are usual sent the day before Christmas (if we're all lucky) and turn into Happy New Year cards:)  If you're lucky, that is..  maybe you'll get them sometime in January as a Just Because card??  Or maybe the picture will be taken, and the cards will be printed but they will never get stuffed and addressed and mailed??  We'll see how this year goes.. lol

And, yes, that other thing called 'Teacher Gifts'.  The mom handling this lovely thing at Max's preschool is asking for $20 from each parent... Are they serious??  I think I was the only one who had a problem with that amount...am I wrong here??  I never was one to go in on the 'group' gift b/c I liked to personalize it, you know??  20 bucks is just ridiculous!! Especially when you do have 2 other teachers to think about...what are they going to want when Franny makes it to pre-school??

Luckily... all of our Saturday rehearsals were cancelled so we can ALL go and get a tree!! Whoo Hoo...

I just can't wait to spend some time together as as family during their break from school (remind me I said this while I'm complaining that they are home...ok??) and perhaps reconnect with each other.

On a positive note, we do have Christmas lights on our house this year (we've been in this house for 8.5 years and this is a first for us).  On a negative note, one of the extension chords used in keeping them lit has broken off in the outlet:(  

Hope you can enjoy your holiday season a little less stressful then over here!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on the $20 gift and tooth... if you wanted to spend that much you could just get a $20 gift card yourself. I thought the point of a group gift would be to pool your smaller amounts to get a bigger gift. Sam also thinks that the tooth fairy should only bring coins because they're way cooler than dollars. I can understand your frustration. I already had to explain to Sam that Santa can't bring us an ipad because he has to buy them (can't make those at the workshop) and that it's not fair for him to spend all that money on us. but I know some kids that are getting them so I'm not sure how that will go over if he finds out. maybe next year you can share your Christmas lists with us and we can help you find the deals you need. I love hunting down a good bargain... :) now back to studying. one final down - one more next week. and then maybe our Christmas cards will go out ;) good luck!

    ReplyDelete